Thursday, November 27, 2008

Charging i-pods with onions?


I love my music and what better way to listen to your favorite songs than on an i-pod or your mp3 players? But you know what? I admit that I am a little careless when it comes to charging up the battery. I’m sure there would be many of us who would absolutely forget to get our music players charged in time. And sometimes, I misplace my charger but the worst of the worst comes, when we are out for a hike or there’s a power cut while our i-pods are left with no battery to play. No battery, no music!
Well, as they say there’s a solution for everything. Recently a method has been devised to charge up the i-pod with the help of an onion! Household Hackers in a video on their website, demonstrated the method. All they needed to charge up the device was a USB plug, a screwdriver, a gatorade drink and an onion!
The method was simple; they took a screwdriver and made a hole on one side of the onion, all the way to the middle. Then they repeated the same to the other side of the onion. Next they soaked the onion in the Gatorade drink for about half an hour making sure that it was completely dispersed in the drink. After half an hour they dried the onion to get the excess liquid off. Then, plugged one end of the USB cord in to the i-pod and the other to the onion. In about 15 to 20 minutes, the i-pod was charged and ready to be played!
The concept behind it is even simpler. Gatorade, Red Bull, and other sport drinks contain electrolytes. They are the electrically charged minerals like potassium, sodium, etc. which are used to charge the battery here. Gatorade contains KH2PO4 which is the main salt that is required to charge the cells.
The role of the onion? Onions create ion gradients which gives the cell a charge. The electrolytes (ions in solution) will saturate the cells, greatly increasing the number of ions in the cells, and thus storing more of a charge in them. Onions coincidentally contain a lot of potassium metaphosphate (KPO3), which, when combined with all the water soaked up from the Gatorade, is used to produce even more KH2PO4! That’s how the battery gets charged up and the i-pod ready to go.
Now, obviously you have to take a lot of caution to do this experiment or our dear i-pods would be permanently damaged. The concept is indeed original and innovative. But, if you ask me, I wouldn’t want my device to smell like an onion! Music is my feel good factor, but onions are the complete opposite of it. So I’ll be sticking to my chargers this time, until we find an eco friendly method that doesn’t tampers with my jovial mood. And I’d suggest the same to all of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love music !! I would like to hear musics on Mp3 player.